In 1995, Pope John Paul II started a conversation.
You’ve probably heard of it – his Letter to Women.
Now, over twenty years later, Chloe Langr is continuing that conversation. Chloe runs the Letters to Women podcast, and she invited me to chat with her for the latest episode “A Letter to the Woman Wondering about Feminism.”
Here’s a few of the things we talked about in this episode:
- Why feminism always resonated with me, wanting to be “part of the boys club,” and how it led me to start FemCatholic
- Mythbusting on what it means to be a “good catholic woman”
- Differences between modern secular feminists and catholic feminists – what modern feminists get right about equality, and the advantage catholic feminists have
- Should you call yourself a feminist, or does “catholic” already cover everything?
- Virginity and it’s history of empowering women
- Being a new mom myself, I talk about why feminism needs to support moms in the culture and the workplace
- NFP and birth control (from a feminist perspective, of course 😉)
- Seeing woman’s body as a burden – even in marriage
- What you need to know about how modern feminism has impacted men – and what to do about it
- What I want to tell you if you disagree with church teaching
Listen to our entire conversation on iTunes or online.
Keep chatting with me on Facebook Live! – this Tuesday, Sept. 26th @ 1pm CST
I had SO much fun talking to Chloe about feminism, and now I want to talk with all of YOU!
These are really important, and tough, topics. There’s a lot we need to discuss.
Here’s how to join:
- Join the Facebook event.
- Before Tuesday, download the episode and listen to it.
- Tell me what resonated with you, and what rubbed you the wrong way. Send me your questions!
Talk to you soon! 🙂
Samantha Povlock is the Founder + Creative Director of FemCatholic. You can learn more about her here.
I started this blog to help women like myself.
Women who may not have always felt like they fit within the Church, or fit the image of a “good Catholic woman.”
Women who have been attracted to feminism, but who want to know how to reconcile it with their Catholic faith.
Women who have a sense that the strength, power, and influence of women is untapped — both in the Church and in the world.
Are you bored of Catholic resources talking about the feminine genius
… but only in terms of women getting pregnant?
Are you frustrated with hearing people talk about chastity and NFP
…as if it’s blissful and full of frolicking fun?
When the weather gets warmer, who doesn’t love refreshing their closet, or picking up a cute new accessory to spice up your home?
You may never have considered where those items are from, but you should. Our friend Claire over at The Catholic Feminist podcast recently chatted with Erin Mackey from Catholic Relief Services all about why ethical trade matters, and the difference you can make by putting your purchasing power to good use.
To get you started, we’ve rounded up these summer essentials – all from CRS vetted shops that are ethical trade!
Shopping never felt so good… 🙂
1. The Catholic Feminist podcast
Hosted by millennial Claire Swinarski, this weekly podcast features strong Catholic women on topics ranging from refugees, to eating disorders, to women’s rights. It’s like having a coffee date with your new best friend who has all the best connections and insights. (She’s even interviewed Audrey Assad!) Be “inspired, informed, and intentional” and definitely hit ‘Subscribe’ on this one.
Don’t miss these episodes:
- How Women Can and Should Utilize Leadership Skills
- How To Talk About Politics On Social Media Without Losing Your Friends Or Your Soul
- How Catholics Should Respond to the Refugee Crisis
Find The Catholic Feminist Podcast on the website or iTunes.